Wednesday, October 8

Attenzione Tutte le Mamme!

This is so serious, I've decided to make my very own PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. Of course, it's a weak attempt on my part to change centuries of Fear of Air in the Italian mamma psyche. But, there is one thing that trumps all the superstitions and unfounded fears: Health Issues. Take one look at the hordes of people visiting the local pharmacies here, and you'll see what I mean. But I digress.

This little bit of news, not picked up by any Italian newspaper, lest it spark a mad rush on pediatricians' offices, hospitals, psychologists and, not least of which, appliance stores, is earth shattering in its boldness:

PLACING FANS IN AN INFANT'S BEDROOM WILL REDUCE THE LIKELIHOOD OF SIDS - SUDDEN INFANT DEATH SYNDROME.

I'll write in Italian, just for good measure in the hopes that just one mamma out there actually reads my blog:

UN VENTILATORE NELLA CAMERA DI LETTO DI UN BEBE' POTREBBE PREVENIRE LA MORTE IN CULLA (SIDS)

Obviously, that implies that the fans are turned on each evening.

And of course, for you Italians out there, that would also imply that the fan goes on in your bedroom since that's probably where the baby will be for the next 12 years of his life.

Hopefully, this Public Service Announcement can stop the shutting of all windows, doors, sealing of cracks and other means of restricting all air to the little bambini of the Bel Paese.

Click here to read full report (or see side panel Notizie).

5 comments:

Carol said...

lol

Carol said...

anzi,
roflmao!

Anonymous said...

Carol lol correct it to PREVENIRE ... pervenire means bring to - so you wrote that Fans could bring to death.
I was an anxious Italian mom. My son started being well when I finally understood that folding him in layers of wool made him only be sick all the time. I would not listen to the pediatrician but to my guts. WRONG! Today he is 21 and happily going out with his hair wet and not wearing any "maglietta della salute".
PS I always drove with him in his "seggiolino" tho

Anonymous said...

So lucky my daughter was born in June! She has a fan since she was born! ;-) And given that we're french unfortunately we had to put air conditioning in our bedroom since she has her own room. I love your style, Lisa!

Karen said...

Very funny! When I first read about this I wondered what Italians would make of it.

A silly fan anecdote: My baby daughter had a fever this past August and the pediatrician told me to not to expose her under any circumstances to fans or air conditioning. It was 40 degrees! Lol.