Spring is in the Air. And with it, come the maladies of the season. The other day, I was shocked by the huge title ticking across the Telegiornale Newscast screen. Even though summer after summer this news repeats itself: A little boy had died of congestion after drinking a slurpy (granita, in Italian).
Now. I am certain that the bereaved parents do not think this is a laughing matter, and nor do I. After all, one moment he was a healthy kid, slurping away, the next he was gone. But, I truly cannot believe we have the whole story here.
After all, if this were true, America, with its Monster Cup drinks and slurpys would have a literal holocaust of pre-teens. Surely, cinemas and 7-11s would be offering funeral parlour services and viewing rooms just out the back exit.
I am not a physician, so, I don’t know if one can actually die of the malady that reveals its ugly head each summer. Congestion. It’s a term I thought had gone away with the bubonic plague. But it seems to afflict thousands who foolishly dive in the chilly (in August?) waters right after downing their last piece of watermelon over pranzo. And each August, we are regaled almost daily by accounts of those who perished in their folly.
More than congestion, I simply wonder if one can die of an extreme case of Brain Freeze. As when it hits, you are immobilized instantly and do, in effect, feel like you’re going to meet your maker. They pose such a risk, that I'm sure by now in America, monster cups come with their own warning sign: Slurp at your own risk.
As for me, I’ll take my chances and keep ordering up granitas – my favorite flavour, limoncello.
But for an excellent exposé on Brain Freeze click here.